Thursday, February 24, 2011

Breakfast- try to be cheerful

Breakfast table civility and deportment

1. Clean up before you come to the breakfast table: wash your face and comb your hair
2. You don't have to get dressed (I guess if it's in the family home, but at a B & B I would guess you should)
3. Clean fingernails, please
4. Reading the newspaper at the table is permissible, but a pleasant word or salutation must be spoken to all present
5. Sit up strait and TRY to be cheerful

6. Talk to one another politely; talk and listen in turn
7. Because everyone is defenseless at breakfast, there should be no contentiousness or crossness
8. Don't ever mention food dislikes or criticize the food
9. Don't lick your fingers or stuff your mouth with food
10. Don't play with your food

11. Don't talk with your mouth full
12. Butter your bread one part at a time; don't put your uneaten pieces back in the bread basket
13. And don't answer questions in a saucy manner
14. Remember, guests always receive the choicest portions.

I will forever be working on #5. I am so not a morning person.

From The Breakfast Book by the esteemed Ms. Marion Cunningham (p. 53)

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I love it, I love it! That's such good advice for everyone. Thank goodness I avoid breakfast. Maybe it's because I have trouble with the cheerful part in the mornings. Not my best time of day.

Becky said...

Love your blog. Just got caught up on a number of posts. All the questions you wanted to ask PW I want to know too! Does she sleep? Really she is crazy busy into EVERYTHING! Miss you!

Teachinfourth said...

This is why I don't eat breakfast...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...