Thursday, June 3, 2010

Because this is what is on my mind...

Change is hard for me.

When I was younger I didn't have such a problem with it, but in the past month I have had a lot of changes:

1. I changed apartments and I am no longer living with my two roommates who I had lived with since September of 2008.

2. I received a new calling at the beginning of May which is overwhelming and kind of stressing me out. Just a little bit. It's getting better though.

3. School ended today and I will miss the kids that I worked with.

4. I am starting a new job in ten days. And I am nervous about it.

5. Our institute director is moving to Boston. Tonight was his last class. I will really miss him.

6. A couple in my branch who started dating shortly after I moved here, are now married. I served with him as FHE co-chair and I taught them the temple preparation class. It feels like they were my little sister and brother. It wasn't the same without them in the branch on Sunday. But they have moved on to better things and I am very happy for them.

From institute tonight, I realized that I need to control my anger better.

I need to have more faith.

I need to work harder because as Elder Paul Pieper, who was the presiding member of the Seventy at our recent Stake Conference, said: "there is no virtual Celestial Kingdom."

I need to do better.

This quote directly below is from institute tonight and it really stuck out to me. As I was thinking about it, I remembered the quote on charity by Elder Marvin J. Ashton which seems in many ways to be the opposite of anger.

"We've all felt anger. It can come when things don't turn out the way we want. It might be a reaction to something which is said of us or to us. We may experience it when people don't behave the way we want them to behave. Perhaps it comes when we have to wait for something longer than we expected. We might feel angry when others can't see things from our perspective. There seems to be countless possible reasons for anger. Thomas S. Monson

"...But really, true charity is much, much more.

Real charity is not something you give away; it is something that you acquire and make a part of yourself. And when the virtue of charity becomes implanted in your heart, you are never the same again. It makes the thought of being a basher repulsive.

Perhaps the greatest charity comes when we are kind to each other, when we don’t judge or categorize someone else, when we simply give each other the benefit of the doubt or remain quiet. Charity is accepting someone’s differences, weaknesses, and shortcomings; having patience with someone who has let us down; or resisting the impulse to become offended when someone doesn’t handle something the way we might have hoped. Charity is refusing to take advantage of another’s weakness and being willing to forgive someone who has hurt us. Charity is expecting the best of each other." Marvin J. Ashton

I am grateful for faith and a loving Heavenly Father. And even though it's hard, I am grateful I can change.

"...I know that he loveth is children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." (1 Nephi 11:17), But I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who does know all things and has our best interest at heart.

Copyright © 2010 by Natasha M.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...