My birthday was about a week and half ago. And (at the suggestion of my mom), I've decided to write a post about the things I've learned in the past year/past 28 years of my life.
1. People are put into our lives for a reason. Whether we meet them and they disappear from our lives shortly afterward or whether they become life long friends, each person has something to teach us. Learn from them.
2. Family is forever. Two years ago, on my birthday, I moved to Lexington. Although I miss my family a lot, they will always be there. They are just a phone call, email, or letter away.
3. Life goes on (sometimes without you). People and things change and if we don't keep up we will be left behind. Time slips from our hands so fast and if we don't make the best of it while it lasts it is gone forever.
4. It is good to take risks. If you stay stagnant then how will you ever grow? Go out of your comfort zone- it is hard, but worth it in the end. New friendships, adventures, food discoveries, wonderful places to visit are all created this way. If you don't try how will you ever know? (I'm still working on this one...)
5. Words can hurt others. Watch what you say, because it can stay with people forever. Also, to go along with this- don't hold grudges. It just makes you angry. Often the person that offended you doesn't even know it and it is only hurting you in the long run.
6. Be honest. Life is just so much better all around when you are honest with yourself and others.
7. Open up a bit with others. I'm a very private person, so this is a hard one for me, but I've learned that when I share things with other people, they often do the same and my life is enriched for the better. A burden shared is a burden halved.
8. Find a place where you can be alone. Whether this be in nature, a temple, your room, where ever.... It gives you time to rejuvenate and become ready to face the world again.
9. Smile. Ever heard of the expression, "fake it till you make it"? Sometimes it's hard to smile, but when you are smiling on the outside, often the inside feeling will follow along and you will truly be happy.
10. Enjoy life. I think this one speaks for itself. We weren't put here to be grumpy. If you enjoy life then in the end, you can look back and be grateful for all the things you've done, learned, shared, and explored.
11. (Just for good nature)- Pray. Heavenly Father hears you and loves you. Be grateful to Him.
These are just a few of the many things I've learned over my past 28 years.