Monday, August 30, 2010

Walking to School

Image taken from this site

School started three weeks ago here in my town. Before it started I was in the store one day and could sense the excitement in the air as I saw parents and children rushing around to pick up last minute items needed for the big day.

Today I see school buses on the street as I leave for work in the morning.

Several weeks ago I heard about the Walking School Bus (even though they have apparently been around for a while...since 2005? Who knew!). Have you heard of them? I think it's a great idea. Groups of children (and parents) get exercise and meet new people while they walk to school together. They are not only saving the environment, but improving their lives through exercise.

During the time I was in elementary school my family only had one car and we lived about a mile and a half (one way) from school. So in the mornings my mother and younger sister and I would all get ready and then walk to school, they would drop me off and then walk back home. In the afternoon, my mother and sister would be there to pick me up and we would walk home together.

My sister (with her doll, Lizzie) during one of our school walks (photo taken from my mom's blog) .

The walks continued throughout my elementary school education, though when I was in 4th and 5th grade I would sometimes walk home with friends. During the fall, we would stop and collect leaves; during winter we would make tracks in the snow with our boots; and during spring we would listen to the sounds of the chirping birds as they flew about collecting building supplies for their nests. As we walked we had a chance to talk- my mom would ask about my day, what homework I had, or what we were having for dinner.

When I was in middle school, I took the bus to and from school most of the time. I still had to walk home from the bus stop and usually my mom would meet me there for us to walk together. We would sometimes stop at a corner store for a .25 cent Little Debbie snack. These walks are ones that I will cherish forever.



Did you walk to school or did you take the bus? Any fun experiences walking to school?

2 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Way too far from town.

I rode the short bus.

Seriously.

Of course, we all did since it was just a two-room schoolhouse. I guess that explains why I took the 6th grade twice.

http://www.svalley.k12.wa.us/OldSchool/oldschool.html

Natasha and Jesse said...

I always wanted to ride the short bus...Great pictures of your school! It definitely looks like it had character.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...