Saturday, July 24, 2010

Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil Pasta

Do you like pasta? Yes?

Do you like shrimp? Yes?

Do you like cream and butter? Just nod your head and say yes, because you know butter and cream make everything better. (Try saying that 10 times fast).



If you like all these things, then you will really like this recipe.

I found this recipe and this recipe and combined them into...this recipe: a creamy, wonderful, combination of lemon, cream, pasta, and shrimp.

You begin by boiling the pasta. I used penne pasta, because that is what Pioneer Woman used. And I want to be like her, especially the part about marrying a cowboy. But, that's another story.

I know you've all seen a picture of boiling pasta, but I'm including it for good measure:



Then you saute the shrimp:



Don't you love how shrimp starts out all gray and blah looking, but turns into a nice pink color? Yeah, me too.

After the shrimp was cooked I transferred it to a plate and put it in the oven on low to stay warm. You can do this or not. When the pasta is done, make sure to save a cup of the pasta water to use later for the sauce.

Once those are both done, it's time to make the sauce.

Now, I have to give you a warning....

If you are on a diet, don't, I repeat, do not make this sauce. It is not low calorie!

But, we already established the fact that butter and cream make everything better, right?



In the same pot where you made the pasta (it makes clean-up easier):

Melt 1/2 stick of butter

Squeeze in the juice of 3-4 lemons. (I just put in some bottled lemon juice, but shhh, don't tell anyone, especially Pioneer Woman. Thanks).

And whisk it together.

Then add:

3/4 cup heavy cream (I told you it wasn't low calorie!)

and

1/4 cup half-and-half

Whisk until hot.

Dump in: 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan (or Romano) cheese. Whisk until melted.

Add salt and pepper to taste. Check consistency and if it's too thick add some of the pasta water you reserved to thin it out a little bit.

Now, for the fun part. Pour the pasta into a bowl. Add the sauce. And add the shrimp. If you have fresh basil you can use that, otherwise you can add dried basil like I did.



This would also work with grilled chicken (like Pioneer Woman used) or scallops or some other seafood, I'm sure. What ever suits your fancy.

Bon appétit!

Copyright © 2010 by Natasha M.

3 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Natasha, when do you want us all over for dinner? It looks fantastic! I probably won't make it myself, but it sure looks delicious!

Natasha and Jesse said...

You are welcome anytime! It did taste very delicious, but it will have to be an every once in a while treat due to the pricey ingredients- money and calorie wise. :)

Patticake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...