Monday, July 6, 2009

"I'll lick the bowl" OR "How did those disappear so fast?"

Today I made Granny's rolls.


Not my Granny, but someone's granny. The recipe made 22 rolls. Yup, go ahead and count 'em.


How many do you think were left after dinner?

Yes, that's right.....








there were only three left!

Yes, we ate nineteen of them. Granted, guests did make an impromptu visit and their children ate several of them. But, believe me. They are just that good. Now you're probably thinking "but bread takes so long to make." Trust me, this recipe is easy. They do rise twice but other than that they are really easy since you can knead the dough right in the bowl. Go ahead and make them. You will be happy! (Note: the first time I made them I cooked them for 20 minutes as it says on the recipe and they were kind of burnt. This time I cooked them for 10 minutes and they turned out fine).

My mom and I also made peanut butter pie today. I took pictures, but I will just let her pictures speak for themselves. If you love (or even like) peanut butter and butter and oreos and cool whip, you need to make this pie. Really, your tongue won't regret it, even though your hips probably will. Ooops, did I just say that?

On Sunday we also made chocolate babka. We started on Saturday morning and then finished on Sunday. The recipe takes two days since you have to give the yeast time to rise, etc.

First you roll out the dough


and then add the chocolate mixture


next, you roll up the dough


and then measure it to make sure you have 12 inches...is your mouth watering yet? Mine sure was...


and then you cut them into two inch pieces


and set them in the pan to rise.


Just look at all that chocolatey goodness. Yum!



After they have risen in the pan, you toss them in the oven (just kidding on the toss part) and set the timer and out comes....wait a minute, why are there two pieces missing?


The recipe said we needed to wait one hour to eat them. Do you really think we waited that long? Noooo, as evidenced by the picture, we didn't...and they tasted just fine. Phew, that was a lot of baking.

Now, don't you wish someone had invented scratch n' sniff internet just for occasions like this? Don't deny it, I know that's what you're thinking... But, what are you waiting for? Get baking and you can have your own smells!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you waiting for? I almost went to scratch my screen so I could sniff it - then realized you are right. That doesn't exist - YET.

Thanks for this post, as well as your many others. It's very nice to be reminded of all the simple pleasures in life.

Unknown said...

cute post! are you up visiting?

Jeanette said...

scratch n' sniff internet. Too funny. It all looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Natasha, you forgot to tell your readers how to turn Peanut Butter Pie into really decadant Snickers Pie by including a layer of caramel and a layer of peanuts between the oreo crust and the peanut butter filling! They must hear about that!!!! What fun baking with you this past week, dear Natasha. Thanks! love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...